Wednesday 6 January 2016

Four Month Post Op Update

Yes I know I’ve not written anything at all since my last post. I have thought about it a couple of times but never got round to getting anything down.

It has been four months since I had my gastric bypass and in that time I have lost 68lbs / 4st 12lb. Since my highest weight back in September 2014 I’ve lost 107lbs / 7st 9lbs. I’ve gone from wearing a size 28 (probably should have been in a 30) to a size 22. Also gone down a shoe size. Before the op I also took my measurements and have lost a total of 51 inches. I’ve got another 31lbs / 2st 3lb to get to the minimum the Bariatric Team want me to lose, which I’m aiming to lose by March.


I was in hospital for two nights and was in quite a lot of pain, more than I was expecting. For the first few weeks I managed ok but struggled with the medications. All my medication was either liquid of dispersible except one tablet that I had to cut up into four pieces. Even though the liquid medication was sugar free it was extremely sweet which started to put me off food and the dispersible medication smelt and tasted revolting. The bariatric team allowed me a take some of the medication that was available in small tablets rather than the liquid/dispersible versions.


At around 8/10 weeks once I started introducing more solid foods I started to become sick almost every day and one day I couldn’t keep water down. Numerous conversations with the dietician advising me to take a step back to the puree stage for a few days then start reintroducing solid foods again. After a couple of weeks I realised that I could not tolerate meat or melted cheese. So I cut meat and melted cheese out of my diet and things started to look up. My husband was working Christmas Day and as he works in a carvery he didn’t want the usual Christmas Dinner so instead I made a duck noodle soup and vegetable spring rolls. I had been craving meat for a while at this point so I decided to try a little bit of the duck meat. To my amazement the tiny piece that I ate stayed down – YAY. I was so happy that I could finally eat meat even if it was only a tiny amount. Since Christmas Day I have managed to eat duck, chicken, mince and sausage – without the skin.

Last night I even managed a very small salad of spinach, watercress, lettuce, tomato and red onion with a yoghurt, mint and chilli dressing and three small falafels.

Over Christmas I was a little naughty and had a couple of chocolates but I suffered the consequences – dizziness and loose stools. So I’m probably not going to be having any more chocolate any time soon.

I’m starting to feel more myself again. I’ve got a lot more energy than I used to, I no longer get pain in my lower back when walking, I can walk further though my asthma still limits me when it comes to inclines.

When I last saw the dietician in December she asked me if I had thought about what I wanted to weigh and to be honest I have never really thought about it. I had thought that I’d be happy to get back into a size 16, which is what I was when I met my husband back in 2007. But now that I am in a 22 and am closer to my goal of a size 16 I’ve started thinking that maybe I would like to be smaller than that. Once I’ve lost this next 31lbs I’m going to see how I feel and set myself another goal.

Also on Monday I re-joined Slimming World. Yes I know I’ve had surgery so I shouldn’t need to go but I’ve made the decision to go as I know too many people that have gained a lot of the weight lost with bariatric surgery and I don’t want to join them. I’m also going to have a look at joining a local gym to increase my exercise but think I’ll go in for a taster session before signing up.

I don’t know if anyone actually reads my blog and I’m not bothered if nobody does. But if anyone out there wants to know more I’m happy to answer any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment